Most of our patients at Oceans Orthodontics receive the more aesthetic and comfortable clear retainers. We are also proud to offer ‘permanent’ retainers to all of our patients to help reduce complications associated with imperfect retainer wear after treatment.
- 22 hours per day for the first 6 months after orthodontic treatment
- 8 hours per day for months 6-12 after orthodontic treatment
- Regularly at night after 1 year following orthodontic treatment
All removable retainers should be cared for as follows:
- Brush your retainer each time your brush your teeth using cold water and NO toothpaste.
- Soak your retainer in ‘Retainer-Brite’ or similar fizzy solution.
- Do not use hot water, which may warp your retainer.
- Whenever your retainers are not in your mouth, put them in their case to avoid loss or damage.
- Never wrap your retainers in paper, tissue or plastic as they will be more likely to be discarded.
- Keep retainers away from dogs as they will be likely to chew on them and destroy them.
- Remove your retainers from the back rather than the front. Removal from the front will distort and eventually break your retainer.
Clear Invisacryl ‘Invisalign-style’ Retainer
It is important to brush your teeth after eating and before inserting your clear retainer. It is only permitted to drink clear, sugar-free, color-free and acid-free liquids (a.k.a. water) with your clear retainers in.
Bonded Lingual ‘Permanent’ Retainers (BLR)
When a BLR breaks, you will notice that one of the ‘bumps’ of cement will rock or move slightly on one or more teeth. This indicates that this tooth is likely to shift. This must be repaired as soon as possible.
Hawley ‘Traditional’ Retainers
These retainers are very durable and if treated well can last for decades. They use a combination of plastic and wire.
These are a wire-free retainer made entirely of plastic that covers the palate and select teeth. Available in clear or a fun funky color!
Ocean’s Lifetime Retainer Club
Oceans is excited to offer a Lifetime Retainer Club to our patients after completing comprehensive treatment for a one-time fee. When you sign up for the Retainer Club we take a 3D scan of your teeth and print a plastic 3D model for you to keep at home. Whenever you need a new retainer, drop off your model and we can make a new one in just a few hours, with no need for impressions! Members of the Retainer Club receive a significant discount on the replacement cost which we’ll honor for as long as Dr. Frank is in practice!